Link to Milesplit’s live coverage of the meet here.
With the Armory (NYC) closing for the remainder of the season, athletes looking to compete indoors have limited options. One of the closest facilities offering high level competition is in Virginia Beach. Some of our area athletes will be traveling down to Virginia Beach this weekend to compete in one of the largest indoor track and field meets in the nation. The VA Showcase 2021 will be held at the new VA Beach Sports Complex with “local” races starting this evening and age group sessions being contested on Friday. Then, on Saturday and Sunday, High School aged competitions will take place. The meet will be broadcast live on Flotrack (subscription required).
The performance list and preliminary heat sheets have been released. This meet is not sanctioned by the state athletic association of Virginia and therefore all athletes will be competing unattached or with their club teams. This makes it difficult to identify all of the athletes from Central PA who are competing. That said, I have highlighted the athletes I am aware of below.
Ella Spriggle, sr Mifflin County (Heat 6) – seed time 9.03
– Owns a 9.03 indoor 55mH PR from last season. Was the District 6 100mH champion as a sophomore in 2019. Her 100mH PR is 15.30. She has committed to Slippery Rock University.
AJ Crisafulli, jr Wyomissing (Section 4) – seed time 2:45.00
– Made a nice jump in fitness already during his junior year, dropping over 2 minutes from his 5K PR during this past XC season.
Dylan Forrester, sr Wyomissing (Section 7) – seed time 2:40.00
– Forrester has committed to Longwood University. He’s improved each indoor season and dropped his mile PR to sub-5 last year. Will also be competing in the 1600m.
Arielle Breuninger, sr JP McCaskey (Section 3) – seed time 5:11.80
– Her 1600m PR of 5:11.80 is from last indoor season. She would finish the indoor season with a 15th place finish at the state meet. Had a great senior XC season, placing 4th at the PIAA District III AAA Championships, running 18:33.
Milana Breuninger, so JP McCaskey (Section 5) – seed time 5:24.00
– Milana is coming off of a strong XC season that saw her finish 9th at the LL League Championships, running 20:15. Her indoor 1600m PR last winter was 5:32.11 and she went on to run some solid time trials this past spring and summer.
Allie Engle, jr Northern (Section 2) – seed time 5:29.00
– Engle set PRs in everything she ran last winter and will look to improve upon her 5:29.0 seed time. She placed 27th at the 2020 PIAA District III AAA XC Championships.
Caryn Rippey, jr Wilson (Section 1) – seed time 5:04.50
– Rippey was the state runner-up in XC this past fall and she lowered her 5k XC PR to 17:36 when she placed 10th at the AAU National Championships in Tallahassee. She will challenge the sub-5 minute barrier for 1600m this winter. Look for her to drop some fast 3200/2-mile times as well.
Sydney Werner, so Conrad Weiser (Section 3) – seed time 5:14.70
– Werner is one of the few athletes who has already competed this indoor season. She ran 5:32 for 1600m and 1:50 for 600m at the Marine Corps Holiday Classic in the Armory on December 29th (ran with mask on). She will look for a nice time drop this weekend in VA Beach.
Aidan Hodge, so Hempfield (Section 4) – seed time 4:55.40
– Hodge already bettered his seed time when he ran 4:44.19 at the Marine Corps Holiday Classic (with a mask on). Only a sophomore, he is already making a name for himself after he placed 21st at the state XC championships (AAA). He will be running his first official 3200m this weekend as well.
Cole Perry, jr Northeastern (Section 9) – seed time 4:40.00
– The Northeastern junior is coming off a superb XC season where he finished 15th in the state (AAA). He set PRs from 800m-3k last indoor season and will look to set a new PR in the 1600m on Saturday.
Tyler Stevens, jr Manheim Township (Section 11) – seed time 4:33.10
– Stevens placed 20th in the state (AAA) this past XC season and will look to have a breakout track and field season this winter and spring. He owns a 1600m PR of 4:33 and a 3200m PR of 9:43 from solo time trials last spring.
Reid Weber, sr Northern (Section 9) – seed time 4:36.40
– Weber placed 17th at the District III AAA XC Championships and 5th at the Mid-Penn XC Championships. He ran 4:41 over the 1 mile distance last indoor season and figures to lower his 1600m/1mile PRs this year.
Arielle Breuninger, sr JP McCaskey (Section 5) – seed time 11.22.60
Sydney Werner, so Conrad Weiser (Section 5) – seed time 11:03.00
Dylan Forrester, sr Wyomissing (Section 3) – seed time 10:10.00
Aidan Hodge, so Hempfield (Section 5) – seed time 9:45.00
Tyler Stevens, jr Manheim Township (Section 6) – seed time 9:43.30
Shot Put (Saturday)
Dylan Lambrecht, sr Northern Lebanon (Invitational Session) – Seed 57-08.5
– Lambrecht is one of the top throwers in the state, owning a shot put PR of 57-08.5 and a discus PR of 170-6. He finished 4th in the shot at indoor states last March.